Come experience old-time dancing with the GODS — the Gainesville Oldtime Dance Society! Contra dancing is aerobic social dancing to live music. No experience is necessary. The dances are taught, walked through, and called. So there is no need to bring a partner, as everyone is encouraged to find a new partner for each dance.
* 5:15pm Dance Hall at Thelma Boltin Center opens
* 5:30 – 6:15 pm — Open waltz (waltz lesson for beginners)
* 6:15pm – 6:45pm — Band sound check
* 6:45pm – 7:00pm — Contra workshop for beginners (New contra dancers and those wishing to review their dance moves or help others to do so are strongly encouraged to attend this pre-dance contra lesson.)
* 7:00 – 10:00pm — Contra Dance. One waltz will be offered at the break and another as the last dance of the evening.
Snacks at the break are provided by dancers. If you snack, please bring something to share.
Water is provided. We encourage you to bring your own, refillable water bottle to help our planet, but paper cups are also available.
Parking is in the lot across the street from the Boltin Center and in marked spaces on adjacent streets.
We welcome you to join our Facebook Group and look for event postings.